Saturday 16 October 2010

A Tour Around Town.

 

I had to go down to town this morning, so I thought that I would take you all on a tour around our little town.  It only has two shopping streets and these are mostly filled with charity shops and strangely enough, travel agents. We do have a Boots, a Wilkinson's, a Sainsbury’s and of course our monstrosity of a Tesco’s.  (Which by the way most of us didn’t want built.)  We have a river running through the town at the southern end, and also a canal which in Victorian times would have been the main thoroughfare for goods arriving to the factories, and one of the old factories that stood right at the side of the canal to enable goods to be easily loaded from the narrowboats  has since been converted into luxury flats.

Now of course, the canal is used mainly for those who prefer to live in a narrowboat and also for canal cruises and pleasure rides.  We do have a boat builders yard though that builds new narrowboats, and at great danger of someone suddenly coming out of the builders and confronting me about why I was loitering on their premises armed with a camera, I managed to sneak a shot of their latest creation.

We also have our own park, one of the nicest I think, in Calderdale. Not too big, not too small,  it has a lovely play area divided sensibly into three, a toddlers area, an older children’s play area and a Skateboard and Bike area for the teens.  At the frontage, we have a lovely flower bed area where folks can go and sit down (weather permitting of course) and while away the time whilst they admire the handiwork of the councils gardeners.

Across the bridge is an open field area that is used every year for our annual Gala. It’s also used by the numerous football teams as well.  It is fringed by the wooded bank rising up steeply at one side, and the beck meandering through the park at the other.  At the opposite end of the park to the Play areas, is the Bowling Greens for the older residents, a Crazy Golf for families to enjoy, two tennis courts and the resident wood carved figure. ( I can’t state a name for him as I am not sure he has one.)

Last time I took a shot of him, he looked very sorry for himself, as he had been left on his side laying prostrate on the floor. (must have fallen over, or been pushed.) However, I was delighted to see that someone has taken pity on him and he is now upright, albeit propped firmly vertical by surrounding stones.  He is also now facing the new swimming baths, whereas originally he faced the other direction. Perhaps someone feels that he should be party to all the fun and games that no doubt will be ensuing there soon.

I shall have other photos to add later, as it was drizzling with rain and so I missed taking any shots of the river and also our lovely train station, nor have I included any photos of the streets in town either.  Enjoy my slideshow above and I’ll be back soon.

TG

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful town you live in. I love the cobblestones or bricks..I can't tell which. Only the really old cities here have those and few remain. The lend a charm that nothing else can but..they are rough riding over. ;-) I thoroughly enjoyed the visual tour, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that particular road plays havoc with cars and their suspension. wheels etc. Only driven up I think when its absolutely necessary. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to live in such a lovely town, T.G. As always your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Penny. Guess that's why I have never hankered after living anywhere else. We have seen many changes over the years, not all for the better I must admit, but it has its own charm, one of which everybody knows everybody else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tour, TG. I thoroughly enjoyed the slide show and the description. As for the carved fellow might I suggest a fine Southern name? How about Bubba? Cletus? Moonpie?

    I know, go stand in the corner......I'm really getting tired of time out. maybe I should just behave myself. Nah, never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi TG, I like the pictures of the town too. The slideshow works well for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some good suggestions there Rocket Man.I might ask in the centre if he has a name, and then do a blog about it. Yes, I finally sussed out the Slideshow but....as on Wordpress, there seems to be no way of regulating its speed, I would prefer it slowed down somewhat, and as you say, unlike the Wordpress version, it doesn't loop around and continue to play.
    It's a faff to enable on both of them I feel, and have requested that they sync Picasa albums much more closely with Blogger for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful place! so different from my own, thanks for sharing your travels!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Michael I think so too. We should all do a tour of our places where we live and take our Blogging friends on it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?