Saturday 9 June 2012

Cornwall, a day in St Ives.

As planned, we were up nice and early the following morning in order to catch the bus to St Ives. Whenever I think of Cornwall, I see St Ives in my mind, fishing boats inside a harbour surrounded by small buildings displayed haphazardly at the sides, and in a way it didn’t disappoint, but on the day that we visited, the weather was far from kind. Unfortunately I am someone who seems to be ruled by the weather as I have aged, my disposition and general mood can hinge completely on whether its sun shining or dull. To add to that, I was also beginning to experience some griping tummy pains, probably due to the change of water. By the time we embarked from the bus, it was dull and overcast, and kept trying to rain during the time that we were there.

St Ives Bay stitch

Nevertheless, determined to explore as much as possible, we ventured along the jetty and the far pier, and also journeyed up and down some of the many narrow streets that make up St Ives. I took as many photos as I could of anything that grabbed my interest and that I felt summed up what St Ives was all about.

Walking up the cobbled street.

I loved the narrow streets with the small shops on either side, it all reminded me of York. However, although this shot displays a ‘no entry’ sign, most streets did allow traffic and we found ourselves constantly having to squash against the sides of walls whilst some vehicle came past. After a while it did become tedious. Kerri might be spying the sign on the left of this shot, although she doesn’t look too happy about it.

St Ives harbour

This shot shows St Ives from the north side from the jetty. I presume that its from here that they launch the rescue boat. You can see the pier that we strolled along later.

Now which one will we have?

Some more cornish temptation.

I honestly don’t know how the residents of Cornwall keep slim when all you can see are goodies like this everywhere you look! Fantastic Cornish Ice creams of every type imaginable, cream teas are the norm and to top that you have every flavour of fudge known to man. Of course we both had to try some out.

Do you hobble in I wonder?

I couldn’t resist taking a photo of this place! Kerri thought it was for Hobbits, whilst I wondered if you had to have a poorly foot in order to get served……

Anchor in St Ives

As we braved the weather and took a stroll along the pier, I spied this ships anchor embedded in the cobbles. I also took a photo of these lobster pots awaiting their next trip out to sea and an old rusty bollard also caught my eye.

Lobster pots on the pier.

St Ives from the pier.

What struck me was despite the dull grey sky up above, just how wonderful the colour of the sea was in the harbour.  It was an absolutely beautiful turquoise colour and I tried to capture it with my camera.

The turqoise sea 

I didn’t see such a gorgeous colour of sea anywhere else in Cornwall. The walk along the pier, although quite cold and dismal, was worth the effort and I think that I captured its beauty in this shot where I managed to get two seagulls, most of the fishing boats, the harbour and the town behind, plus that gorgeous turquoise water.

St Ives from the pier.

I think that had the weather been kinder, then the visit to St Ives would have definitely been one of my all time favourite days of our holiday. As it is, I do hope that I have managed to capture some of its beauty in these shots.

As usual, I’m enclosing a Photo Album containing all of the photos that I took during our day in St Ives, just click on it to see the photos full size or view in a slideshow. Next post, we enjoy a day in  Newquay.

TG

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?