Friday 30 December 2011

Another year over.

And for me, its been a very eventful one, where I have encountered many new experiences for the very first time. From journeying down a tube for an MRI scan, to having a major operation in a hospital I have never been in before, enduring chemotherapy and all that entails including making some new friends, ending with stabbing myself in the stomach daily with a needle following a blood clot and its been a very interesting year to say the least, and one that, although it had its moments, you will all understand I am sure when I say that I do not wish to repeat any of it again. During that time, my daughter has proved how resilient she really is, and also how she continues to demonstrate her ability to adapt to any situation no matter what.

I simply wouldn’t have coped with any of it without her by my side. She’s been my full time nurse, my companion, she’s been there to cheer me up during the darkest hours, and been strong enough to take the brunt of my moods when I’ve been down. Now I know why she was sent to me those thirty odd years ago when I asked him up there why, why me? when she was born, probably in exactly the same way as any parent does when the child they were expecting to receive hasn’t materialised, and they have received an entirely different child in its place.

And she is in her element when the tide is turned, when its her looking after me, calling the shots, being in charge and she is brilliant at it. I have always stated that had she not had learning difficulties or been saddled with the label ‘Down’s Syndrome’ that she would have gone into some kind of ‘caring’ role, as a nurse or some caring profession. Its in her nature to be caring, and she went above and beyond what many people  would have done whilst I was ill. She was ‘on duty’ twenty four seven at my side, and during that awful week that followed my return home after my operation, when (as it turned out) I had a septic infection, she became who she really is, a nurse nightingale, oblivious to her own needs and focusing only on mine.

TG

P.S  I’m sorry that I haven’t been blogging of late, but intend to return to my usual favourite pastime in the new year, when hopefully K and I can resume our gallivanting around the Yorkshire countryside on numerous adventures and quests, so back to normal! (I hope!)

5 comments:

  1. Indeed, K is a special person in every sense of the word. You survived your awful ordeal without complaint, TG and will always have my admiration. May this coming year be a brilliant one for the two of you. Take care. Pen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TG, I'm glad to see you back on here. I'm also glad that your daughter was able to take care of you so well. For a lot of people including me, 2011 just plain stunk. I sure hope 2012 is a lot better. I'm trying to think positive that it will be. I hope you have a nice New Year's eve too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the year over all. I'm ready to start something over with a clean slate. That said I believe for the positive things to not only carry over to the new year but become ever stronger. I hope you do find a way to blog more in the new year. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear from you at last I was getting very worried. I know that it has been a trying year for you but let's hope that the next one is filled with new and exciting things of the pleasant kind. Best wishes for the New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and may this one give you only health and happiness. Yes what an amazing year for both of you. Your blog brought a tear of my eyes knowing how difficult your journey was and how k had rallied by your side. God bless you both. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?