Sunday 15 January 2012

Walking on the frosty side.

We went on a walk yesterday along our local canal.  As in other parts of the country, our canal have become a haven for walkers, joggers and also cyclists. Yesterday was one of those days when your not quite sure how to dress, it was bitterly cold and there had been a sharp frost during the night, causing the pavements to glitter with a thousand tiny stars as the sun shone down on them. We were all dressed in warm coats scarves and the like, and in my case gloves as well. Determined to get some really good shots of both the canal and also try to capture the frosty conditions, I also toted my camera with me. As soon as we set off, daughter ‘hooked’ herself up with the tallest member of our walk that she could find who is well over six foot, which looked rather comical as they both strolled along seeing as she is only five feet tall.

Frosty Canal walk

I stayed as much in front of the other walkers as I possibly could, mainly because I try not to get too many of the walking party in my shots, and also because every time I stop to take a shot the rest go marching by and I have to run in order to catch up. What was amazing was that the whole stretch of the canal looked rather strange and ethereal because the side that we walked on was shielded from the sun and therefore covered in frost, whilst the opposite side was bathed in sunshine and frost free!  This afforded some quite interesting pictures of a contrast not only in light and dark, shade and sunshine, but heat and cold as well.

Finally here’s a panoramic stitch which encompasses the strangeness of it all for me, the gorgeous colours on the far bank, the resulting reflections in the still water, and the cold frosty side that we were walking along.

A frosty walk along the canal.

Following the walk, we ended up in ‘The Old Ship Inn’ which as many of my readers will no doubt be aware is currently one of our favourite eating venues, where we both enjoyed a bowl of their delicious warming Copper Dragon Stew with Herbie Dumplings.

Copper Dragon Stew with Herbie Dumplings.

TG Open-mouthed smile

9 comments:

  1. My goodness I sure did love your pictures! It's been very warm for the season here yet today that seems in danger of changing with a winter weather advisory. Your photos really are lovely! Thank you for sharing...this just made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos & the food looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most enjoyable walk! Thank you for sharing that delicious treat, a fine way to top of a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pictures TG. I like the link to SkyDrive too. I am still storing photos in mine as a backup, but mainly using Picasa, as I am on Google all the time. I used my phone to make the "1st Snow" post that I did today, but I did go into the computer to fix the spacing a little as I don't like the way that the Android Blogger mobile app does it. It's not a bad app, but it definitely needs some improvement. I hope you have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely frosty walk it is nice to see you back up and running and on a bowl of that stew you could walk miles I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that half-frost half-sunshine thing. Oddly, I took some photos of frost the other day, but only noticed the split afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi TG it is good to see you both out and about,I know what you mean it has been bitter cold here to. Your pictures are very good I love the frosty scenes oh and sunshine. Those Dumplings look rather good I bet they were very warming.
    Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pleased to see you back again!
    Had a little browse round and caught up a bit.
    Hope your scan went well.
    I'm waiting for the results of one, too.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and sorry its taken me so long to allow them on here! Google must have changed how comments are done, I've never had to scrutinize them before but they are changing lots of things.
    I realise your all sick of me changing my blog colours, etc, but I might be changing it to white....sorry!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?